Buta No Kakuni
1kg of pork belly with ribs
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup sake
1 cup dashi stock
2 cups of water
1 tbsp fresh ginger
3 stalks of spring onions
4 tbsp brown sugar
3 pcs of star anise
1. Prepare by cutting the pork belly up into cubes and separate the ribs into individual pieces. Dice up the springs onions and ginger.
2. Then in a heavy pot heat some olive oil and brown the pork on all sides. Once golden add in the spring onion and ginger and stir fry.
3. Move the pork to one side of the pot and add in the brown sugar and caramelise it. Then coat the the pork with the caramelised sugar.
4. Pour in the dashi stock, water, soy sauce, sake and star anise. Bring to the boil and then simmer on a low heat while covered for 2 hours.
5. Cook the the bok choy in by placing it in boiling water for 30 seconds and then run it under cold water and set aside.
6. Serve pork in bowl on a bed of brown rice and bok choy. Be sure to stir some of the pot juice through the rice and finish with a garnish of spring onions.