Mac & Cheese
400g dried macaroni
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
3 rashers good quality smoky bacon, diced
500ml pure cream
125g coarsely grated Cheddar
250g coarsely grated Gruyere
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
100g freshly grated parmesan
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs panfried in butter
truffle oil to serve
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and refresh in cold water and place in a large bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Return the pan to heat, add cream and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, gradually add cheddar and Gruyere, stirring until melted.
- Combine the garlic, paprika and mustard to form a paste, stir into cream mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cooked macaroni and bacon. Stir to combine.
- Place macaroni into serving dishes. Sprinkle over parmesan and crispy fried breadcrumbs. Drizzle with truffle oil and serve.