Pearl Barley Risotto
April 22, 2014
- 3 cups pearl barley
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 3 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 1 litre of veal stock
- 300gm smokey pancetta diced
- 1 heaped tsp of cumin powder
- 1 heaped tbsp of good quality Spanish sweet smoked paprika (the good stuff)
- 1/2 bunch of kale shredded
- 1/2 bunch of parsley finely chopped
- Meredith goats cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fry the pancetta with a small splash of olive oil in a large, heavy based saucepan until fat is rendered and meat is crispy. Drain excess fat and oil.
- In the same saucepan sweat the onion, garlic, celery and carrots until soft. Add the cumin and paprika and cook for a further three minutes. Add the pearl barley and coat with spices. Cook for another three minutes.
- Add all of the stock, season, and stir to combine. Cook for approximately 45 mins or until the pearl barley is just tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add more stock if needed. Turn off the heat and stir through the kale until wilted.
- Add half the chopped parsley and a good crumbling of goats cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and and another sprinkling of parsley.
- Eat that shit.
Made by guest chef Nick Jamieson