Chicken Tikka Masala with Yoghurt Raiti
June 6, 2014
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 cucumber
- ground pomegranate
- tikka masala spice mix from the markets of Dehli (thanks Intrepid Travel) but you can get it from anywhere
- yoghurt raita spice mix also from dehli but you can get it from anywhere
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or sunflower / vegetable oil
- 1 large / 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/2 capsicum (red or green), chopped into small dices
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tinned chopped tomatoes
- 175ml tomato soup (Heinz is ideal)
- 100ml single cream
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 small pots of natural yoghurt
- Chop the chicken into 2cm cubes and coat with some yoghurt and the ground pomegranate, then cook in a frying pan.
- Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and garlic cloves and fry gently for 3 minutes until starting to get translucent, then add the chopped capsicum and fry for another 2 – 3 minutes. Add the spice mix to the onion-garlic-capsicum and mix throughly and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add all the liquid ingredients to the onion mix and stir completely – that is the white wine vinegar, chopped tinned tomatoes, tomato ketchup, tomato soup and single cream.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Then add in the garam masala, fresh coriander leaves and salt.
- Finally, add the chicken pieces to the tikka sauce. Stir it together and let cook together for about 15 minutes.
- While the chicken and sauce is cooking together, start the yoghurt raiti.
- Add the spice mix to the left over yoghurt and stir.
- Slice the cucumber and place on a dish
- Place the yoghurt mixture on top of the cucumber.
- Serve with the chicken tikka masala with rice, yoghurt raiti and naan bread.