Caramalised fig and sprout penne with gorgonzola
April 10, 2015
500g Barilla Penne
6 fresh figs
4 slices Pancetta – 1cm thick
8 Brussels Sprouts
2 cloves Garlic
1 sprig rosemary
Knob of butter
- Cut the pancetta into small pieces and fry on a low heat in a deep skillet saucepan for 5-8 minutes.
- Halve the garlic cloves and cook with the pancetta.
- Slice the leek into 1cm pieces and cut each piece in half. Add to the pancetta and garlic and turn up the heat a little. Stir every minute.
- Remove outer leaves of the sprouts and cut of the stalk. Cut in half, slice into pieces and add to the pan.
- Heat the butter in another fry pan on medium heat and add the figs – cut in half face down and brown for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from the pan when done.
- Finely chop rosemary leaves and to the pan with a teaspoon of nutmeg. Cook for a further 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne, strain and reserve some of the pasta water.
- Add pasta to the saucepan and combine with 2-3 spoonfuls of past water until slightly creamy.
- Cut the gorgonzola into small pieces and stir through until melted.
- Slice the fig halves into quarters and gently combine.
- Serve into pasta bowls and enjoy with nice full bodied french white.