On a hot summer day, like today, there’s not much more that you want to eat.
• 100 gm country-style bread, crusts removed
• 6 (650gm) vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• Pinch each of sweet paprika and ground cumin
• 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
• 1-2 tbsp sherry vinegar
• finely chopped Lebanese cucumber, Spanish onion and red capsicum (to serve)
Soak bread in cold water for 2-3 minutes or until soft, then squeeze out water. Process squeezed bread, tomatoes, garlic and spices in a food processor until well combined. With motor running, add olive oil in a thin steady stream until well combined, then add vinegar. Transfer mixture to a bowl and whisk in ½-1 cup water to achieve desired consistency. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and a little extra sherry vinegar if desired. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, then divide among small bowls, top with a little chopped cucumber, onion and capsicum and serve immediately with bread.
Recipe from Gourmet Traveller