- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 16 slices rye bread
- 16 slices Swiss cheese
- 800 grams pastrami
- 500 grams Coleslaw (see below)
- 1/4 cup Russian Dressing (see below)
- Cabbage, either green or purple or both
- Green onion
- 1 Apple
- Yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the following ingredients. Makes one-half cup
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Grate Carrot Onion Apple and Cabbages with a cheese grater.
For the mayo dressing version, add 3 Tbsp mayo, 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard and mix in with the cabbage, carrot, onions and apple. Add pepper to taste.
Spread a spoonful of Russian dressing on to one slice of bread. Top with cheese and an unhealthy layer of pastrami. Top pastrami with a layer of coleslaw. Add another layer of pastrami that was slightly bigger than the first layer and a second slice of Swiss cheese to each sandwich. Top with the bread slice and butter the side facing out.
Preheat a frying pan to medium heat. Cook the sandwiches on one side until the bread is golden brown. Use a spatula to carefully flip the sandwiches over and finish cooking on the second side. Cut the sandwiches in half before serving. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Die happy.