In conduction with A Taste of Marilyn founding ladybird Caroline, below is the result of an afternoon of cooking and chatting and sipping in the amazing kitchen/dining/workshop of Prahran artisan Oreo of Atreveneta and his band of cohorts. Brick Chicken, Greens, Slaw, Spuds rounded out with Cereal Milk Icecream and tipple of Muscat, a lovely was to spend an overcast Saturday.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 chicken halved, backbone, rib cage and thigh bones removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
Heat oil in 10” skillet over high heat. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet. Put another pan on top and place a brick (or a mortar and pestle will do) on top of that. Cook until brown. Take off pan and brick turn chicken over and add stock and lemon juice cook until cooked. Serve chicken with juice.
- 2 heads green cabbage
- 1 small red onion
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspons salt
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
Thinly slice green cabbage or grate on a box grater. Grate carrots, onion. Mix all ingredients together and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve chilled.
Slow cooked greens
- Choose a combination of fall greens; collards, kale, mustard and buy a large bunch of each
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 chile arbol, loosely crushed by hand
- 4 slices thick cut bacon or a smoked pork hock or some pulled pork
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
Clean the greens and chop them into 2” pieces. Heat 1/3 cup of butter and sauté the garlic and onions. If you are using bacon add it at this point along with the chile. when the garlic and onions start to turn golden add the greens. Turn the heat to low and add water or chicken stock, apple cider vinegar and the ham hock or pork if you are using that and a good amount of salt. Cover the greens and let them cook slow and low until they are very tender. Season additionally to taste with salt, pepper and vinegar.