Lemon Calamari with Pea & Mint Salad
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) dry Panko breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, plus juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 400g cleaned squid tubes, sliced into 1cm rings
- 1 cup (300g) whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cornichons, chopped
- Sunflower oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas, blanched, refreshed
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, chopped
- 250g punnet vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch mint leaves
Combine breadcrumbs and half the lemon zest in a bowl and season. Place the flour and eggs in separate bowls. Dip squid tubes first in flour, then egg, and coat well in crumb mixture. Put aside.
Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, garlic, chopped cornichons, lemon juice and remaining zest in a bowl. Put aside in fridge until ready to serve.
For the salad, whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Toss remaining salad ingredients with the dressing.
Half-fill a large saucepan with a little oil and heat. Place the calamari onto the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve the calamari immediately, with the salad and lemon aioli. Enjoy!